Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Teaching Moments from a Miscreant Goose

Last week I sent this out by e-mail to some friends. Thanks to all who sent me encouragement and some good natured teasing. 

These past few days have had some interesting challenges in them that the Lord is using to remind me of His love and care for me. What I'm going to share isn't one huge tragic incident that has rocked my world, rather a series of 'straws,' if you will, that threatened to break this camel's back!

Last week I took my truck to be inspected and get an oil change.  In return they called me to let me know they are ready to do $969 worth of work on brakes, wheel bearings, oil change including inspection.  HA!  Well, that sidelines the truck.  (I am getting a second opinion.)  So....Being emotionally low, I allowed myself to get over tired, I pushed too hard to sing one night and got cold. Add that to the incredible allergens flying around....voila!  I turn into a bass with a dripping nose and a cough threatening to bring up a lung. (NOT a pretty sight.)

For five days I was a dripping slug in my chair eating chicken soup, drinking water, and sleeping. I have some wonderful caretakers who made sure I had what I needed- thank the Lord. (Side note: I'm not a very good or easy sick person...there's a special grace for caretakers!  If you are one- BLESS YOU!!)

After taking Monday off, I borrowed my mom's car to get to work. As I was traveling in a pack of cars north on 481 at a decent clip, I watched a couple of geese come up and over the guard rail directly into my lane in front of the little, bitty car in front of me.  That driver braked and swerved to avoid them (almost causing a massive pile up) during which the lead goose got wise and flew away.  The second goose, a big one at that, was left standing directly in front of me.  I quickly reviewed my options and chose the least dangerous one: hit the goose.  So I did, twice with my right tires, sending that miscreant goose to his Maker.  There was a huge POOF of feathers behind my car, but otherwise no one else was affected. Thank you Jesus!  So I drove on thanking the Lord for His safety for us all.

All was well until after I stopped for the light at the end of the off ramp.  The car wasn't turning easily. It drove straight OK, but I had to wrestle the steering wheel to turn into the parking lot.  You know how your heart sinks and you just "know" the worst has happened?  Yup, that feeling.  I looked and saw something dripping...so now I'm grossed out on top of everything else.

I go inside to my office, sit down and just cry.  No, bawl is probably a better term. I'm mad, frustrated, tired, sick, and now I've killed mom's car. Totally pitiful. Thank the Lord more staff were coming in shortly, so I got myself together.  I called a friend to come check the car out and of course I hadn't killed the car.  However, there was power steering fluid pouring out of one of it's lines, hence the red dripping fluid. (I was a whole lot less grossed out then...whew.)

I called my mom, who woke my father, who then called the insurance company. They came and towed the poor car away. It turns out there was a bit of damage to the bumper and the beak of our infamous goose penetrated an aluminum pipe!  What are those odds? The car will be fine in a few days and I thank the Lord for insurance.

So, what are the teaching moments?  There are a few...just like our Lord to use every part of an incident to bless His kids! 
1) Being asked to come help and look at my car blessed my friend. He was struggling with being useless and then I call!
2) My father was going to rent a car and needed his license to do that. Turns out his license had expired 1 1/2 years ago. Since he discovered it less than 2 years out, it was a relatively easy renewal. (Don't ask, he doesn't know how he missed that either!)
3) My "melt down" was long overdue and I received comfort and reassurance from my Lord that I hadn't sensed before.

I have a tendency to "buck up" before I soak.  My instinct is to take things in stride, trust the Lord with the details, and go on with things.  Unfortunately, I often neglect to bring my emotional reactions to the 'straws' of life into my conversations with the Lord.  I am aware that we, women especially, are so self-aware that we stay stuck in emotional turmoil- so, I choose the opposite extreme.  However, my Lord requires all of me so He can minister to all of me.  Before I can quote Philippians 4:13,  ("I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.")

I need to process verses 4-7 FIRST

"Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I say rejoice! Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."

Be encouraged, saint of God!  All the strange, weird incidents in our lives are awesome opportunities for our HUGE and AMAZING God to do His will in and through us.

Blessings,


PS: Check out this song...the words aren't perfectly rendered on the screen but they are close. http://youtu.be/hqeXuWrI7QY

No comments:

Post a Comment