Monday, April 30, 2012

Tea Bag Test

If you were to randomly pick up a tea bag which had no box or label, how do you know what's in the tea bag?  It's simple - stick it in some hot water!!

How do you know what's inside you? Examine what comes out when "life" hits! 

When I was in my 20's, I worked for a short time in Southern California cleaning an elderly woman's home and doing some shopping for her. Previous to taking this job I had the concept that older people were sweet, gentle and kind. You know, like a loving warm grandparent? Wow, did I have a surprise waiting for me. No matter what I did, she scolded me telling me I was just not smart enough for this. (Tellin' ya, it took much control to not react!)  Eventually, she and I got into a 'groove' and I got to know her a bit. However, she never, ever was going to pass for Mrs. Claus. I hope I was a blessing to her. Her core was angry and bitter- that was apparent.

When my Dad had knee replacement surgery, I got an amazing view of my Dad's heart. Folks who know my Dad usually know the gentle, sweet, kind, and extremely helpful man. Ya'll didn't grow up with him - he's a different man now. Not that Dad was ever mean- or at least he never meant to be. However, he could be sharp, demanding and impatient. The nurses loved my Dad. He thanked and blessed everyone who came in to help and care for him. His core was gentle and sweet - that was apparent.

As my parents grow older (don't we all), their personalities become more defined- or should I say less shielded. There comes a point when we drop the pretenses, the expected behavior and just become ourselves.

As believers in Jesus - this presents an interesting challenge. How can we be transparent and yet show Him to the world?  The answer is simple, yet complex.

We fill ourselves with HIM. (Time in the Word, worship, presence - 2 Corinthians 3:18) Therefore we can continuously radiate Jesus to those around us.  This is especially true in the midst of trials and tragedies. No, God doesn't send those; but He uses them to let Him in us be revealed.

Have you seen my Mom's coffee can demonstration?  On one hand she has a perfect, complete, gorgeous Maxwell house (sub Dunkin or Starbucks here) coffee can that represents her concept of what becoming whole in Jesus is.  The other coffee can is an old Brim (decaf) can which is punched, bent, mangled and deformed. This represents her real life- the one that has lived through much pain. Turn out the lights and put a lit candle under the perfect can- what do you see? Nothing.  Then put a lit candle under the broken one- what do you see? Light pouring from the holes, the wounds.  A "perfect life" not only doesn't need Jesus, it can't reflect Him.  The broken places are where Jesus shines. (2 Corinthians 12:10 b "...for when I am weak, then I am strong.")

Our "hot water" is life itself. What is being revealed about you? 

2 comments:

  1. How clear you have explained this complete light.
    You are such a blessing to me. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement! Blessings,

      Delete